• Shortcuts : 'n' next unread feed - 'p' previous unread feed • Styles : 1 2

» Publishers, Monetize your RSS feeds with FeedShow:  More infos  (Show/Hide Ads)


Date: Friday, 18 Jul 2014 19:55
The GUADEC organization team is happy to announce the availability of the
registration form [1] for the upcoming GUADEC to be held in Strasbourg,
France at Epitech, a software engineer school in the heart of the city, is
glad to welcome our community and host the venue [2] for the event! This
year we are going to include a list of participants to the event online at
[3].

Once registered to the event do not forget we also provide a set of badges
[4] you can use to share on your website! Let everyone know you are coming
to such a great event held in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe!

About GUADEC

The GNOME Users And Developers European Conference (GUADEC), is an annual
conference taking place in Europe, whose prime topic is the development of
the GNOME desktop environment which sees many participants from all over
the world.

[1] https://www.guadec.org/register
[2] https://www.guadec.org/venue
[3] https://www.guadec.org/participant-list
[4] https://www.guadec.org/media

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Friday, 18 Jul 2014 19:49

The GUADEC organization team is happy to announce the availability of the registration form for the upcoming GUADEC to be held in Strasbourg, France at Epitech, a software engineer school in the heart of the city, is glad to welcome our community and host the venue for the event! This year we are going to include a list of participants to the event online at https://www.guadec.org/participant-list.

Once registered to the event do not forget we also provide a set of badges you can use to share on your website! Let everyone know you are coming to such a great event held in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe!

About GUADEC

The GNOME Users And Developers European Conference (GUADEC), is an annual conference taking place in Europe, whose prime topic is the development of the GNOME desktop environment which sees many participants from all over the world.

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Friday, 18 Jul 2014 13:57
wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140701

= Minutes for Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Friday, July 18th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Joanmarie Diggs (previous board)
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi (previous board)
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Andreas Nilsson (previous board)
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Andrea Veri
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Regrets ===
 * Karen Sandler

=== Missing ===
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Welcome new board!
  * This is the first meeting with both the outgoing and incoming board.
  * People on the outgoing board are invited in advisory capacity
until the official hand over meeting at GUADEC
  * Only newly elected (and re-elected) board members can vote
  * Are officials going to be appointed at GUADEC?
   * We have early regrets from Karen and Tobi, who are going to be
travelling on the 25th
   * We should move the appointment of the new officers of the board
to the meeting before GUADEC
  * Explanation of the procedures of the board
   * Voting
   * Conflict of interests
   * Further discussion at the in person meeting at GUADEC

 * Monthly financial update
  * Financial year starts on October 1st
   * We generally should have a budget by that date
   * If we don't have a budget within 30 days the board voted to
automatically freeze all non-essential expenditures
  * Outlook of the financial situation of the Foundation for the
benefit of the new board members
   * Something to do for the upcoming year is to ensure companies are
invoiced at the start of January to mitigate delays
   * Sent out new invoices for GUADEC sponsoring
   * We have sent all the adboard invoices
    * After they have been paid, we are going to rely on personal donations
   * We are also holding money for other organizations
    * This money is in our care, but it's not ours to use

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Sponsors
    * New sponsors from China
     * Added GUADEC sponsorship on top of their GNOME.Asia one
     * The board would like to thank Emily Chen for her work
    * Canonical reached out to us
    * We should try to get more sponsors
     * Marina is contacting Collabora, Mozilla, and the Linux Foundation
     * Marina also wants to contact CERN - European organization,
employs GNOME developers, uses RHEL
    * Possibly have lower rungs of sponsorship for smaller
companies/organization
    * Party sponsorship is another venue of funding
     * Not necessarily cheaper, depending on the location and type of the party
    * '''ACTION''': Jeff to follow up with potential sponsors for
GUADEC and brainstorm new ideas
    * People to follow up on authorization for two invitations to GUADEC on-list
   * Funds
    * GUADEC 2013 leftover money has been transferred to LiLo for GUADEC 2014
    * Approx USD 4000
   * Travel sponsorships
    * Committee is almost done with sponsorship requests
    * Under budget
    * Some last minute requests
   * Pending vote for invitation letters for GUADEC
    * To be completed on the list
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Leftover funds: USD ~6000
   * Discussed on board-list to have Emily Chen hold on to those funds
to reimburse travel sponsorship from China
    * Easier to bypass all the issues with moving funds back and forth
    * Emily will transfer the leftover funds after reimbursements
    * Expected: USD 2000

 * Receiving Donations in the EU via the WHS
  * No new update

 * Gandi discounts / promo codes for Foundation Members
  * Andrea has followed up with Gandi
  * Andrea is going to send an email after getting more information

 * Next meeting
  * Potential conflcts for various new/old board members
  * To be discussed on the board list

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Privacy campaign
 * Visa fees reimbursements

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Andreas to ask Karen and Pam how much we should  disclose to the
community about the ongoing discussion with Groupon
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact Karen and Pam about the trademark use request from
Carol Hanson
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment


Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Monday, 14 Jul 2014 19:15

The GNOME foundation is happy to welcome its new GNOME Board of Directors who were recently elected
for the 2014-2015 term.

The new board consists of the following new members: Karen Sandler, Jeff Fortin, Andrea Veri while Ekaterina Gerasimova, Sriram Ramkrishna, Tobias Mueller and Marina Zhurakhinskaya continues to serve. All Board members are key contributors and together represents the diversity of the GNOME community .

“The very first feelings I had when I was elected on the Board of Directors have not only been a great joy and pleasure but also a strong motivation and spirit of responsibility for what concerns the decisions and dedication every Board member should be enlightened with during his yearly commitment” -Andrea Veri

Serving on the board is very a challenging task that involve many difficult decisions, we wish the new board the best of luck in the the upcoming year.

The Foundation wants to express a special thanks to the outgoing board members: Andreas Nilsson who served as President, Joanmarie Diggs who served as Vice President and Emmanuele Bassi who served as Secretary. We also want to thank the candidates who were not elected this time, as this was a particularly heated election, with a lot of great discussion about the future of GNOME.

The new board will officially take their positions at the upcoming GUADEC conference that takes place 25 July – 01 August in Strasbourg, France.

The GNOME Board of Directors is elected annually by the foundation members, every foundation member are eligible to run for the board. More info about the board are available on the foundation website.

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Friday, 11 Jul 2014 13:10
Hello Foundation Members!

I've been in contact recently with the GANDI.net team [1] and they've 
been so kind to offer our membership some great discounts on all their 
available services! (domains, websites hosting, SSL certificates, 
Cloud VPS servers )


What is GANDI offering us
----

What GANDI is kindly offering us is an E-Rate discount [1] on all the 
services listed above. Below you can see the discounted prices for the 
various services:

Domains: https://www.gandi.net/domain/price/info?grid=E

Simple hosting: https://www.gandi.net/hosting/simple?language=php&db=mysql&grid=E

SSL Certificates: https://www.gandi.net/ssl/grid

Cloud VPS servers (IaaS): https://www.gandi.net/hosting/iaas/prices?grid=E 

How can I receive the discount?
----

1. Create a GANDI handle at https://www.gandi.net. If you have an 
   existing account you can skip this step.
2. Set your handles' prepaid account currency accordingly to the one 
   in use in your country.
3. Mail non-profit< at >gandi.net from your < at >gnome.org mail address indicating 
   your GNOME Foundation membership status and Gandi handle. (every 
   GNOME Foundation Member with a GNOME account (i.e git) should have 
   its < at >gnome.org alias enabled already, if you are unsure about the 
   details or the alias is not working, please mail accounts< at >gnome.org.
4. Wait for a positive reply. Your account should now have applied an 
   E-Rate discount.

This information is available at [3] as well.

Who should I contact in case no one updated my account within a few weeks?
----

Please mail <av AT gnome DOT org> by forwarding the email you sent to 
the above specified address specifying you did not receive a reply 
since several weeks.

Special thanks to GANDI
----

I would like to thank GANDI for their continued support to the FOSS 
world [4] and for the great discounts they are offering to our membership!



That should be all, have an awesome day everyone!

[1] https://www.gandi.net/whowe/
[2] http://wiki.gandi.net/en/billing/rate
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee/MembershipBenefits#GANDI_discounts
[4] https://www.gandi.net/supports/

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Tuesday, 08 Jul 2014 15:04

GUADEC, the GNOME Users and Developers European Conference, is the largest GNOME event of the year, drawing contributors from all over the world. This year’s conference is approaching, and will be held in Strasbourg, from July 26 to August 1.

GUADEC is an invaluable opportunity for contributors to share what they have been working on over the past year, and to have face-to-face working sessions and meetings. As usual, it will consist of four days of presentations, followed by three days of BoFs (“Birds of a Feather” sessions).

Strasbourg looks set to be an excellent location for this year’s event. The local area has a strong Free Software community and, as the home of the European Parliament and European Court of Human Rights, is a highly symbolic city. Strasbourg is also known for its beauty, culture and food. As one of this year’s conference organisers said, “it is a lovely city, and we hope that attendees will fall under its charm”.

The schedule for this year’s GUADEC has now been published, and gives an idea of what we can expect from the event. GTK+ and the GNOME application development platform are a major theme, with talks on GTK+, GStreamer, geoclue and Wayland. Application development will also be a focus for this year’s event, with talks about core apps, such as Documents, Photos, Web and Boxes, as well as other applications, including Pitivi, Corebird and SDAPS, a paper surveying tool.

A number of talks cover exciting new developments in the GNOME project. Ones to watch include Christian Hergert’s presentations on GOM and Builder, Alberto Ruiz on Fleet Commander and Emmunuelle Bassi’s talk on the GTK+ Scene Graph.

As usual, the GUADEC schedule also includes important non-technical talks, on subjects such as usability testing, documentation, outreach, intellectual property and funding models for open source projects.

More details about this year’s GUADEC, including key note speakers and social events, will be made in the coming days and weeks. Watch this space.

guadec-sponsors

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Monday, 30 Jun 2014 15:06
wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140617

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller (connection issues towards the later end of the call)

=== Regrets ===
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Trademark request
  * Carol Hanson wants to print a one-off t-shirt design that includes
the GNOME logo, for personal use
  * Cafepress raised the issue of the trade mark
  * We should put Karen and Pam in the loop
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact Karen and Pam about the trademark use
request from Carol Hanson

 * GUADEC invitation letters
  * There is the issue of invitation letters for GUADEC for
non-members going through the foundation
  * We need to keep proper records of who sends and who gets invitation letters
   * It also depends on who is sending the invitation letters for
GUADEC: either LiLo (the legal entity organising GUADEC) or the
Foundation itself
   * LiLo is involved on behalf of the foundation, so the Board will
have to vote on every invitation letter in order to record the details
for the future
   * '''VOTE''': Record every request for visa invitation letters: +1
Kat, Joanie, Andreas, Emmanuele
  * Coordinators for the invitation letters: Marina, Srini, and other
foundation members

 * Events
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Leftover funds: USD 5000
   * We should use these funds for direct GUADEC travel sponsorship of
foundation members from China
   * It would be more expensive to have those funds transferred back
to the foundation and then used for sponsorship
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Report from the team meeting yesterday
   * Accommodation and venue are sorted
   * Presentations: we had late cancellations from speakers
    * We have a pool to pick speakers from
    * We can also expand the lightning talks slots, or leave them open
for last minute submissions directly at the conference
   * Travel committee: does not need a budget extension
    * Allan asked if there can be an increase in sponsorship for
speakers if that is an issue for attendance
    * The travel committee should be able to handle that on a case by case basis

 * Dates of the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
  * Proposed dates: 24/7 and 25/7
  * We don't have consensus on the dates yet
  * Further discussion on the mailing list

 * Privacy campaign
  * Stef won't be able to coordinate, but will be able to work as an advisor
  * Open a proposal period on foundation-list

 * OPW
  * OPW travel sponsorship
  * We should ask for a report/blog post for all the sponsored interns
  * '''VOTE''': Request a report/blog post for OPW interns sponsored
for travel: unanimous

 * Visa fees reimbursements
  * To be discussed further on the board list

 * Next meeting: July 1st
  * New board directors will attend and vote
  * Old board directors will attend in advisory capacity
  * Current officers will maintain their role until the hand over
meeting at GUADEC

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Privacy campaign

== Completed Actions ==

 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Monday, 30 Jun 2014 15:05
wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)


Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 20:14
It is time for another development snapshot in the GNOME 3.14
development cycle: 3.13.3 is here. Highlights in this release include
Adwaita as the default GTK+ theme [1], network awareness in our
sharing infrastructure [2], a new design for yelp and add-on support
in gnome-software.

To compile GNOME 3.13.3, you can use the jhbuild [3] modulesets [4]
(which use the exact tarball versions from the official release).

You can also test the latest code using the vm images [5] that are
produced by our continuous integration infrastructure,
build.gnome.org.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/06/13/a-new-default-theme-for-gtk/
[2] http://www.hadess.net/2014/06/firewalls-and-per-network-sharing.html
[3] http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/
[4] http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/3.13.3/
[5] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeContinuous#Installation

The release notes that describe the changes between 3.13.2 and 3.13.3
are available. Go read them to learn what's new in this release:

core - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.13/3.13.3/NEWS
apps - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.13/3.13.3/NEWS

The GNOME 3.13.3 release itself is available here:

core sources - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.13/3.13.3
apps sources - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.13/3.13.3


WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
--------------------------

This release is a snapshot of early development code. Although it is
buildable and usable, it is primarily intended for testing and hacking
purposes. GNOME uses odd minor version numbers to indicate development
status.

For more information about 3.13, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our 3.13
planning page:
http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
http://live.gnome.org/Schedule

We are now looking forward to the 3.13.4 snapshot, which will happen
on July 23, and to Guadec in Strasbourg, from July 26 to August 1.
http://www.guadec.org

See you there!

Matthias Clasen
GNOME Release Team
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 09:15
Hello Foundation,

The preliminary results for this year's elections were not challenged.
This means, in the next term, our Board of Directors will be composed
of the following Foundation members:

Sriram Ramkrishna
Ekaterina Gerasimova
Karen Sandler
Tobias Mueller
Andrea Veri
Marina Zhurakhinskaya
Jeff Fortin

Congratulations! And many, many thanks to all Foundation members who
participated and voted. I hope the engagement and excitement we saw
during the elections remain active for the year :)

Cheers,
Fabiana - on behalf of the GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 15:24
wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140520

= Minutes for Tuesday, May 20th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Quick budget update
  * Where are we?
  * More invoices have been paid since the last meeting
  * We should be able to reimburse the West Coast hackfest
   * Oldest event that has been earmarked
  * We need to check the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
   * The money was sent to the personal account of one of the organizers
   * It is being held by the bank
   * '''ACTION''': Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the
GNOME.Asia payment
   * Should we re-send the payment without waiting?
   * USD 5725
   * Needs to go out to avoid local team paying out of pocket
   * We cannot avoid this new payment to be blocked again
   * We are going to use the process that the receiving bank has
outlined and hope for the best
   * We should get the money back (minus bank fees)
   * This is clearly a banking issue: we have full confidence in the
local GNOME.Asia team
   * We do have money in the bank to cover this in the meantime
   * '''VOTE''': Send the GNOME.Asia payment (USD 5725) again: unanimous
  * What's the situation with our resources?
   * By last meeting we had USD ~30k in the bank
   * We received more money in the last two weeks
   * We should have USD ~45k in the bank
    * Not earmarked
    * Not OPW
   * It is the opinion of the treasurer that we should keep the
expenses locked for the next couple of months
  * Reimbursing travel for OPW interns
   * We have received funding for that
   * USD 1136.15 total
    * Two interns from Mozilla
    * One from !OpenStack
   * We receive confirmation of relevance/attendance as part of our process
   * Do we have a record of the travel?
    * Blog post/private report
    * The mentor has to confirm the travel relevance as part of the
reimbursement
    * Having a proper report would increase visibility of OPW and of GNOME
    * '''VOTE''': +1 Marina, Andreas, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie, Tobi; -1 Kat
    * The issue needs to be investigated further

 * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
  * Proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
  * The board assigns a budget to the travel committee
  * Budget is assigned every 6 months, in two blocks of USD 20k
  * This budget is not part of the GUADEC and GNOME.Asia allocations
  * This budget includes GNOME North American summits (east/west coast)
  * How does additional funding from sponsors affects the budget?
   * E.g. a company funds a hackfest
   * The funding should be counted as part of that budget
   * We haven't had much luck in the past years to get corporate
funding for hackfests through the foundation
    * Companies may reimburse travel directly
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send
the new draft to the list

 * ED hiring and plans going forward
  * There has been discussions on board-list
  * There has been discussions also on foundation-list as part of the
election Q&A
  * Should we put together a hiring committee?
  * Or should we postpone the decision to the next board?
  * If we decide for a hiring committee
   * People on the committee should have experience in hiring
   * Should also work on defining the role of the ED
  * The job description for the ED should focus on financial/fund
raising/administrative roles
  * Community management is also important
  * We should draft a list of people to be on the hiring committee
  * '''ACTION''': Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria
for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role

 * Visa fees reimbursements
  * Discussion was started on board-list
  * Visa fees reimbursements affect the travel committee guidelines
  * It's hard to keep track of the issues that may happen for visa
reimbursements even if everything went right
   * Most of the time the visa process is arbitrarily handled by the
issuing country
  * Should we require remote participation in case of visa rejection?
  * How do we ensure that the foundation does everything possible to
avoid a visa rejection?
  * Should we only reimburse visa fees if they were rejected?
   * We are willing to pay for the travel
   * But if a person applies for the visa process they should be able
to cover it (as per travel guidelines)
   * The asymmetry is that if the visa succeeds the person in question
would travel covered
  * The issue needs more discussion
   * Continue on board-list
  * '''ACTION''': All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on
board list about visa fees reimbursements

 * Groupon launched a product called "Gnome"
  * Trademark issue
  * We should contact them

 * Upcoming events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Contract for the local organization
   * Andreas and Kat already gave feedback on the draft
   * The feedback is mostly on wording and making things explicit
    * We had issues in the past with unclear contracts
   * '''ACTION''': Kat to update the GUADEC/LiLo contract and send it
for board-list for review
  * GNOME.Asia
   * We need to be clear on the allocated funding from SUSE
   * Since it's been negotiated locally it should be outside the USD
15000 allocated by the foundation
   * The board should ask what the current projected expenses are, and
say that it's ok to spend up to USD 19,500 (considering SUSE's payment
as in addition), but keep the expenses as lower if possible, and
return what's left after the conference to the GNOME Foundation
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on
their current budget

 * Pitivi dontations fees
  * The contract had some unclear language with regards to the banking fees
  * If GNOME handled the banking fees then it would not be worthwhile
for the foundation
  * The banking fees were explicitly acknowledged by PiTiVi when first
discussing money handling
  * It seems that the banking fees were negotiated as part of the
agreement but it was not clarified further on either side
  * We are still receiving the money from them
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to draft a contract template for future use
organizations for which we handle money

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * GUADEC travel budget of EUR 15000 approved
  * '''VOTE''': +1 Emmanuele, Joanie, Marina, Kat, Andreas
 * Groupon product called "Gnome" has been announced, possible
trademark infringement
 * Funding request for OpenHelp
  * '''VOTE''': -1 Tobi, Andreas, Joanie, Marina; abstain due to
conflict of interest: Kat
  * Proposal to revisit in the future

== Completed Actions ==
 * Kat to document the GUADEC/GNOME.Asia combined sponsorship on the wiki
 * Kat to draft a new policy for the travel committee and send it to
the board for review
 * Tobi to follow up with Alexandre and Karen about the contract for
the GUADEC local organisation

== Pending action items ==
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC meetings
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Kat to update the GUADEC/LiLo contract and send it for board-list for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment


Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Monday, 09 Jun 2014 10:05
URL for the detailed results is
https://vote.gnome.org/results.php?election_id=22.

Sorry for the confusion,
Fabiana

On 9 June 2014 11:41, Fabiana Simões <fabianaps< at >gnome.org> wrote:
_______________________________________________
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce< at >gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-announce
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Monday, 09 Jun 2014 09:41
Hello, Foundation!

The GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee is happy to
announce the preliminary results for this year's Board of Directors
elections:

Sriram Ramkrishna
Ekaterina Gerasimova
Karen Sandler
Tobias Mueller
Andrea Veri
Marina Zhurakhinskaya
Jeff Fortin

(details at http://vote.gnome.org/vote/results.php?election_id=22)

If you'd like to challenge these results, please send an e-mail to
membership-committee< at >gnome.org. You can challenge them until Tuesday,
2014-06-17, 23:59 UTC. Please note these results should not be
considered final untill all challenges have been resolved.

This year we had 310 registered voters, 194 of which sent in valid
ballots. We strongly encourage everyone to check the list of all votes
to verify their ballot:

https://vote.gnome.org/votes.php?election_id=22

Cheers,
Fabiana - on behalf of the GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Sunday, 18 May 2014 23:56
Name: David King
Email address: amigadave< at >amigadave.com
Corporate affiliation: Red Hat
Conflict of interest: I am the partner of another candidate (Ekaterina 
Gerasimova)

Hello!

I would like to serve as a director so that I can help out with the 
important duties of the board for the coming year. I develop software 
for GNOME during the day (and sometimes by night!), and I also serve on 
the travel committee, as well as helping out on the documentation team.

My goal on the board is to be an effective director. As a visible 
portion of the Foundation's role is providing financial support to its 
members, I think that lots more work will be needed by the board to 
ensure that GNOME is financially secure, and will remain so in the 
future. I think that my experience on the travel committee will be 
helpful in making challenging decisions regarding finances.

A less visible part of the Foundation's role is its communication with 
members, which happens primarily through foundation-list. I have been 
disappointed with the delays in seeing meeting minutes published, and I 
would put myself forward for the position of secretary if I was elected, 
and strive to get the minutes published no later than the following 
board meeting.

Good luck to all the other candidates!

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Sunday, 18 May 2014 17:16
Affiliation: Intel Corporation

I'm running for a second term as Director of the GNOME Foundation.  I
plan on continuing my efforts in outreach both inside of GNOME
Foundation and to external.  There is still many things to do in order
to make our platform and desktop attractive to everyone and I wish to
continue talking about our story.  I can continue to be effective in
leveraging what I've learned as Director as well as the extensive set
of contacts I have as part of my day job and the open source project I
am involved there as well.

During my tenure as Director, I have organized a hackfest, help start
a QA team, and worked to get many people involved in GNOME as
contributors. Long hours and days were spend engaging the Free and
Open Source community.  I find myself continuing to be energized in
being part of this organization of which I am proud of.  I ask for
your vote and confidence to continue working on the board.

Thank you!
sri
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Sunday, 18 May 2014 10:03
Name: Ekaterina Gerasimova (kittykat)
Affiliation: none

I have been a board member for a year now, having run in 2013 with an
aim to improve the processes involved in running the various areas of
the Foundation. I have succeeded in getting areas such as GUADEC, the
Travel Committee, and the Foundation accounting and tax returns
(unfortunately, most of this is private) on the right path, but there
is still a lot of work to be done.

I am currently working towards the Foundation being able to be more
transparent again with its finances, as it used to be. This will help
our sponsors and supporters see how we are using their donations to
further the goals of GNOME and will help the membership, especially
the volunteers, to keep contributing to the project. The board will
also need to keep making challenging decisions for the benefit of the
Foundation, to make sure that our spending is in areas that are of
most importance. I feel that I have done this well over the last year
and would like to be able to keep doing it. In the upcoming year, I
want to be able to offer our sponsors better value for their financial
support.

There is no quick fix for the current situation, so we need to
continue working hard at improving which includes involving the
membership more in the running of the Foundation. From a practical
point of view, I feel that I have a lot to bring to the board as I
have had some formal accounting training and have experience in
managing finances in corporate environments. I am the current
treasurer and intend to run for treasurer in the upcoming year.


All the best,
Kat
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Thursday, 15 May 2014 08:56
Hello,

Here comes GNOME 3.12.2, our second update to GNOME 3.12. It includes
many fixes, various improvements, and translation updates over 3.12.0
and 3.12.1, we hope you'll enjoy it.

The road ahead is 3.13, a schedule has been published, and a first
development release got released on April 30th.  The next release will
be 3.13.2 and is scheduled for May 28th.

 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirteen

For more information about the major changes in GNOME 3.12, please
visit our release notes:

 https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.12/


==============================
Release Details and References
==============================

The lists of updated modules and changes are available here:
  core   -  https://download.gnome.org/core/3.12/3.12.2/NEWS
  apps   -  https://download.gnome.org/apps/3.12/3.12.2/NEWS

The source packages are available here:
  core   -  https://download.gnome.org/core/3.12/3.12.2/sources/
  apps   -  https://download.gnome.org/apps/3.12/3.12.2/sources/

And if you want to compile GNOME 3.12.2 by yourself, you can use the
jhbuild modulesets available here:
  https://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/3.12.2/


See you next time!

        Fred
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Sunday, 11 May 2014 13:03
Hello all,

Now is the time for a new update to our stable release, this is 3.12.2.

  Tarballs are due on 2014-05-12 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.12.2
  stable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which
  were proposed for inclusion should try to follow the unstable
  schedule so everyone can test them.  Please make sure that your
  tarballs will be uploaded before Monday 23:59 UTC: tarballs uploaded
  later than that will probably be too late to get in 3.12.2. If you
  are not able to make a tarball before this deadline or if you think
  you'll be late, please send a mail to the release team and we'll
  find someone to roll the tarball for you!


For more information about 3.13, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.13
page:
   http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
   https://wiki.gnome.org/Schedule


Cheers,

        Fred
Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Thursday, 01 May 2014 16:29

GNOME contributors and developers are currently gathered in Berlin, Germany, for a three day Developer Experience Hackfest. The event is focused on the GNOME application developer platform. Participants working to ensure that developers can easily create high quality applications for GNOME.

Topics being covered at the event include:

  • GTK+ planning, and the roadmap for new widgets and capabilities.
  • Developer tools, including editors, DevHelp, and debugging tools.
  • Application development documentation, including tutorials, API reference documentation, and the GNOME developer website.

Detailed updates can be found on Planet GNOME.

The hackfest is being generously hosted by Endocode, and has been sponsored by the GNOME Foundation.

endocode

GNOME Foundation Sponsored Badge

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Date: Tuesday, 22 Apr 2014 19:10

The GNOME Foundation is happy to announce that 39 participants have been accepted for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) and the Outreach Program For Women (OPW) internships to work with the GNOME Project this summer.

The work will cover a wide range of tasks including improving Shell animations, annotation support in Evince, DLNA capabilities in Photos, and documentation updates. Information about all accepted participants and their projects is available in the e-mail welcoming the interns, which was sent to the Foundation mailing list.

It will be easy to follow the progress of the interns, as they are required to blog on Planet GNOME every two weeks.

These opportunities would not have been possible without the GNOME community members, many of whom themselves have participated in these programs before, guiding the participants and the financial sponsorship from Google, HP , Linux Foundation, and Red Hat.

The Foundation is looking forward to the results of the interns’ work, which will provide a better experience for users and developers.

Author: "--"
Send by mail Print  Save  Delicious 
Next page
» You can also retrieve older items : Read
» © All content and copyrights belong to their respective authors.«
» © FeedShow - Online RSS Feeds Reader