When I started my little corner of the interweb back in 2003, I certainly didn't think I would still be going strong in 2009. In fact, I'm busier than ever these days. But I'm increasingly finding myself editing photos when I am in front of the computer instead of blogging. This is not necessarily a bad thing. My photography has really taken off in the last 18 months or so. It's put my already busy schedule into overdrive (and this isn't even taking my day job into account) and because of that, down time has become a luxury I don't really have. So after a lot of thought I have decided to shut down the leafblower as we know it.
Let me explain.
Since I only seem to write about the shows I shoot these days, it only makes sense for me to take that content over to the newly launched blog at Photokyle.com so I can aggregate it all there. We've been working for the last few weeks (and by "we" I mean my super-awesome tech guy Aaron & I) to get my new blog up and running. It's still somewhat in beta, so please let me know if you find something that doesn't work as advertised. You can subscribe to the Photokyle RSS feed here. Do it!
I certainly can't update two blogs these days, but I think I can still find time for a blog and a Tumblr. So sometime later this week, we'll redirect informationleafblower.com over to my Tumblr. I know some people don't like the Tumblr format, but I love being able to blog things so easily and quickly. It's been a lifesaver for me in the last few months and reinvigorated me as far as writing on the web. I kind of want to reboot things over there just get back to sharing things I like on the web for my friends as opposed to chasing page views and trying to be a "music blogger." So head on over to the new information leafblower and check out what I've been up to over there. Here's the RSS feed or if you have a Tumblr, you can just follow me.
I hope to see you in my new digs.
My photos from the Roots Picnic are up over on Pitchfork. Check 'em out. I will have a bunch more photos as well as my thoughts on the event (it was AWESOME) online soon.
Busy week this week. Shooting at the Kennedy Center tonight and also doing the Nine Inch Nails / Jane's Addiction show on Tuesday at Merriweather. NIN goes on FIRST. Plan accordingly.
Also, I love Philadelphia.
Why is it that the one time I decide to go out of town there are 4,000 shows worth seeing? Sigh. But it's not like my weekend will suck or anything. I am heading up to Philly tonight for the Roots Picnic tomorrow (I know, me traveling for a music festival? Shocking!). Public Enemy is doing It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back in its entirety with a live horn section!!!! I predict concert nirvana. And then after we hustle back in town on Sunday I am shooting the Rammy's later that night. Stay tuned for pics next week.
If I was staying in town, I would have a very hard time choosing between all of these shows:
PJ Harvey & John Parish @ Warner Theater
X @ 9:30 Club
Dean & Britta @ Black Cat
Viva Voce & Cut Off Your Hands @ Iota
A Place to Bury Strangers @ RnR Hotel
Doves @ 9:30 Club
Denali @ Black Cat
Hold Steady @ 9:30 Club
Tuesday, June 9th
Baltimore - Ramshead
Tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday, June 4) at 4pm EST**
Wednesday, June 10
Ashville - Orange Peel
Tickets on sale tomorrow (Thursday, June 4) at 4pm EST**
**2 ticket limit per person and all tickets will be picked up at will call the night of the show. No tickets will be distributed in advance. Government issued ID required to retrieve your tickets. You are required to enter immediately after receiving your tickets. Tickets are non-transferable.
I would be all over that Baltimore show but I am shooting Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails that night. Oh well.
PJ Harvey and John Parish are touring together behind their new album A Woman A Man Walked By and they are playing the Warner Theater here in D.C. on Friday. I have five pairs of tickets to giveaway for this show. To enter, just send me an email and let me know what the PJ in PJ Harvey stands for. I will accept entries until noon on Thursday and will try and let the winners know Thursday afternoon or first thing Friday morning.
I am heading out of town this weekend and am crushed that I'm missing this show. The Warner is one of the nicest places in town to see a gig and PJ Harvey is always a must-see.
PS - This video is perfect.
1) Your Gonna Ned Someone On Your Side - And here I am / and here I am / Well you don't need to look so pleased
2) Jack The Ripper - Crash into my arms / I want to / You don't agree / but you don't refuse
3) Break Up The Family - I'm so glad to grow older / to move away from those awful times / I want to see all of my friends tonight
4) Disappointed - Don't talk to me, no / About people who are "nice" / 'Cause I have spent my WHOLE LIFE / in RUINS / Because of people who are "nice"
5) It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small - I attack from the back / Because it's easy / And I can assail / While wearing very nice jewellery
6) Do Your Best And Don't Worry - Compare the best of their days / with the worst of their days / you wont win
7) The Loop - I just wanna say / I haven't been away, oh / I am still right here / Where I always was
8) The National Front Disco - There's a country / You don't live there / But one day you would like to.
9) The Never Played Symphonies - Black sky in the daytime / And I don't much mind dying / When there is nothing left / To care for anymore / Just the never laid / The never played symphonies
10) Reader Meet Author - You dont know a thing about their lives / They live where you wouldnt dare to drive / You shake as you think of how they sleep / But you write as if you all lie side by side
11) The Last of the Famous International Playboys - And now in my cell / Well, I followed you / And here's a list of who I slew / Reggie Kray - do you know my name ? / Oh, don't say you don't / Please say you do / oh oh oh oh
12) Sunny - So I offered love / And it was not required / Oh, what else can I do ? / What else can I do ?
13) Hold Onto Your Friends - Give up your job / squander your cash / be rash / Just hold onto your friends
14) In The Future When All's Well - Armed with wealth and / The best of health / In the future when all's well
15) Seasick, Yet Still Docked - Tonight I've consumed much more than I can hold / Oh, this is very clear to you / And you can tell I have never really loved / You can tell, by the way, I sleep all day
You might think I haven't been updating the leafblower because I am lazy.
Far from it.
Here are a few of the things I've done since updating the blog last week.
Last night I had the amazing experience of shooting Bruce Springsteen at the Verizon Center for DCist. See the full photo set here.
Sunday night I shot Dan Deacon & Future Islands at the 9:30 Club for washingtonpost.com. See the full photo set here.
I spent Saturday fighting the heat and the rain while shooting the DC101 Chili Cookoff for DCist for the third year in a row. It's one of my favorite events in DC. See the full photo set here.
Late last week I shot Mastodon at the 9:30 Club for washingtonpost.com. See the full photo set here.
In case you hadn't noticed, my photography services are in increasingly high demand, which is an absolutely amazing feeling. However, it doesn't leave much time for blogging (especially when you factor the day job in there too). Not sure what the future holds for the leafblower. I don't want to give it up completely but something's got to give. Stay tuned true believers...
Last night I had the pleasure of shooting the Night at the Museum 2 red carpet premiere at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Many of the films stars were in attendance: Owen Wilson (No, I did not call him "Butterscotch Stallion." But I thought about it.), Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Amy Adams, Ricky Gervais(!!) and Toofer(!!!). Check out more photos over at DCist. I'll post more photos here and on Flickr next week.
I have quite the weekend coming up. Festival season is here! Saturday is the DC101 Chili Cookoff featuring (wait for it) The Offspring, Third Eye Blind, Shinedown, Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I have no idea who Shinedown are, but the rest of that lineup is AWESOME(ly bad). Remember last year? Cannot wait!
Then on Sunday, I have the Dan Deacon / Future Islands show at the 9:30 Club followed by The Prodigy on Monday. No rest for the weary!
Even though I used to know him back in the day (when he was a nobody, his lawyer shared office space with my company at my first job in NYC. He came by the office all the time. Really nice guy.) I can't say I am huge Fiddy fan. But his set at Merriweather a couple of weeks ago opening for Fall Out Boy was great. High energy with lots of singalongs. Basically everything you want from a hip hop show.
[Photo Gallery] 50 Cent @ Merriweather Post Pavilion
6/02 - Rock N Roll Hotel - Washington DC
My iTunes is going to be very happy about this. It sticks a White Rabbits song in every Genius playlist I make.
Full tour dates here.
Also, they released a new video over on Pitchfork.
Liechtenstein is the newest signing to Slumberland Records. They are from Sweden.
[mp3] Liechtenstein | Roses In The Park
They are at the Velvet Lounge on May 20th.
The Black Lips are releasing a new EP called The Drop I Hold EP.
[mp3] The Black Lips | The Drop I Hold feat. GZA
Her are their upcoming tour dates:
06-18 TORONTO, ON - NXNE
06-19 BALTIMORE, MD - SONAR
06-26 ATHENS, GA - ATHFEST
07-02 ATLANTA, GA - THE EARL
07-18 CHICAGO, IL - PITCHFORK FESTIVAL
07-23 VANCOUVER, BC - COMMODORE BALLROOM
07-24 SEATTLE, WA - CAPITOL HILL BLOCK PARTY
Go here for a free Tori Amos song download. If you are into that sort of thing.
Man Of Aran, the new album by British Sea Power is due on May 18th. Here's a preview:
[mp3] British Sea Power | Come Wander With Me
Great Northern are at the Black Cat on Thursday.
[mp3] Great Nothern | Houses